Why you need a product video
Think about the last time you bought a product. There is a very good chance that you purchased it after seeing a picture of it, or have experienced it in real life through a friend, relative or colleague.
With all the options available, and the amount of shopping we do online, it is important that we feel confident in handing our credit card details over in exchange for a product. Especially as we don’t have the benefit of picking up a product and touching it, feeling it, or exploring it.
How can a product video help?
Successful shipping company, Shippo, specialise in shipping products that are sold online from Asia to the UK. What these guys know about global logistics and selling products online is more than most of us will know in a lifetime, so they have a good amount of credibility!
The Managing Director helps clients to understand how to sell their products in the UK, as obviously more sales means more demand, which means more square footage bought from him on a big boat to get it from A to B. They speak with hundreds of small businesses who sell their products online through eBay, Amazon and using their own websites each year. He has noticed a distinctive pattern whereby the most successful of those businesses use professional product videos.
”I’ve spoken with three of the four fastest-growing eTailers in the last month, who have seen a huge upturn in sales after uploading product videos into their eBay listings and onto their websites. They all felt that anything but the most simple item needed more than just photos to display the product effectively. One customer in particular, pointed specifically to his product videos for his eBike conversion kit, which have resulted in sales increasing 5 fold year on year.” Chris Veale, Managing Director at Shippo
Ayres&Co Luxury Glasses Case from Square Daisy on Vimeo.
What other kinds of product videos are there?
It doesn’t just have to be a consumer product video, there are so many ways videos can help to promote your product:
- Engineering and manufacturing – In this field, companies have, or make, equipment and components. Lots of moving parts turning into something created at the end is amazing to catch on video, either as pure product promo videos or as part of case studies.
- Pitch videos – Lots of people are inventing or re-imaging products to be sold, but often need more money to market or produce these things. Crowdfunding is a real revolution in the products arena, and almost every successful crowdfunding pitch will have a professional product video associated with the campaign.
- Explainer / how to use videos – Those of you with children will understand the pain that comes with putting together and fitting a pram or car seat. Why not create a video and have a little QR code that says ‘scan to see how to fit this’? Instead of reading a convoluted 2D instruction book.
- Delivering a service – There are only so many hours in the day to offer a service and therefore you are always limited by the amount of money you can make. However, if you productise that service – imparting your knowledge through video tutorials purchased as part of a suite, what you offer to people is now scalable and potentially lucrative.
We’ve added some more product video examples below.
Digital Marketing for the Engineering & Manufacturing Sectors from Square Daisy on Vimeo.
Catchy – Pitch Video from Square Daisy on Vimeo.
How do you make a product video?
The process of making a product video is exactly the same as any other video – a sensible, methodical process to ensure that the budget is spent wisely and the outcome is fit for purpose.
- What is the objective of the video / what do you want people to do or know after they’ve watched it?
- Who are the people that are watching it and what are their issues/motivations?
- Where will the video be deployed?
- What is the wider strategy for the product and how can the project be made more efficient as a result?
We would recommend professional help. My New Venture can put you in touch with video-makers who can make your marketing as good as it can be, get in touch. Their specialist equipment includes…
- Body mounted Steadicam
- Studio screens
- Lighting Rig